Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Grey Race



ARTIST / BAND: The Grey Race

SONG (MP3): Abboan Fat Tracks

ALBUM: Tricky (cover)

FILE UNDER: Alternative / Healing & EasyListening / Rock

LABEL: Unfiltered / World's Fair

INFO: “We wanted to see what that voice could do if you put it right up front and arranged all the other musical elements strictly to complement it.” That entailed letting Jon’s acoustic playing take the lead and not relying on electric guitar to carry the songs. Confides Jon, who taught himself to play bar chords with a distortion pedal via Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Sepultura, “I have to admit that at first the production freaked me out. It wasn’t heavy. It was a brand new sound for me. But Ethan and Jeff’s instincts were right on, and now I can’t imagine these songs any other way.” Jon’s own musical instincts were developed as a lad growing up in New Plymouth, New Zealand. He stumbled onto songwriting after learning The Cure’s “10:15 on a Saturday Night.” “I figured out how to play it, and I was blown away,” he recalls.

read more from the source...

Sergi Gvarjaladze

MUZORAMA.COM

No comments: